02 June 2009

Leo’s review: “Press Grill” – Post 4

My former roommate “Miller” used to enjoy going on dates here, and after passing it during a jog through the short north I cleaned myself up and headed over.

Spatially, Press Grill is much like other Short North establishments in respect to being narrow but with plenty of depth to fit its patrons. It looks as though you’ll be cramped, but on a Monday evening there was a good crowd yet enough elbow room for a guy like myself. The décor is very simple with deep dark red walls (which aren’t crowded with decorations), a jukebox near the door, low lighting, and a few small flat screens behind the bar. The kitchen is visible as it is situated at the far end of the bar, and looked lively and clean. By mentioning flat screens, I don’t want to portray to you that this is the spot to watch your favorite sports team. I had the vibe that this is your place for good conversation with someone (at least on a weeknight).

I’ll likely be your beer guy throughout these posts, and the special at Press Grill was $2 Labatt Blue or Canadian Molson. I personally enjoy any place that does little themes like Canadian and whatnot. So while kicking back a Labatt, I also enjoyed the Monday night special of “Nathan’s 2 Famous Hotdogs” for 3 bucks. This was the highlight of my day. I’ve only had Nathan’s one time before, but from what I can remember, it was as authentic as it gets. I had them Coney-Dog style which came with a toasted bun, excellent chili dog sauce, cheese, and onions. I highly recommend this meal and at 3 dollars you can’t go wrong.

Press Grill had a good American style menu and added their own touch to some things like having “fried egg” on more than one of their sandwiches (I can assure you this will be my next selection). On Thursdays, they have a “thanksgiving dinner” for $9.99 which sounds hearty and I trust it to be good as well.

Overall Press Grill was a cool little place for a weekday dinner conversation. I appreciated how many patrons there were, without it being impossible to have a chat with the person sitting across from you. I recommend the Nathan’s Famous hot dogs on experience, and the rest of the menu I have high hopes for.

Until next time…

Basic Info:

Website: http://pressgrill.net/
Menu: http://pressgrill.net/menu.html
Location: 741 N. High St. Columbus, Ohio 43215 (South of Hubbard & High, on the west side of High St.)
Phone: 614-298-1014
Leo’s Rating: 3.5 (0-5 scale)

No comments:

Post a Comment